Saturday 12 July 2014

11.07.14 - Tower Ridge and my last days guiding on the Ben

Today was the last day of Up and Doon guided walks Munro bagging week.  This was also my last day guiding.  After having done a bit of scrambling earlier in the week on Stob Ban and Sgurr a' Mhaim, we decided to go out in style and chose Tower Ridge as our route of choice.  Tower Ridge is the obvious, impressive ridge splitting Coire na Ciste and Observatory Gully.  This impressive wedge is Scotlands longest route on her highest mountain.  Christine was a bit apprehensive at first but was reassured by the positive nature of the rock and the impressive scenery.    We made our way up the Douglas Boulder East Gully, up out of the Douglas Gap and onto the ridge proper.  We were blessed most of the day with great views of the coires and gullies of the Ben and neighbouring Carn Mor Dearg.  By the time we had reached the Great Tower and Tower Gap the mist had rolled in, much to Christines delight!  a short time later we were on the summit.  Mixed emotions for me.  What a way to spend my last days guiding on the Ben, a classic route, great weather and a great client.  As we left the summit I paused and looked at what I was due to miss.  The summit of Ben Nevis has become a very special place for me, a home from home.  I would be lying if I had said I didnt have a small lump in my throat.  Still onwards and upwards, a new world awaits and no matter where my work may take me, guiding in the mountains of Scotland will always have a very special place in my heart.  Thanks to everyone I've ever worked for or with and most of all, thanks to all the great people I've met over the years.  I am forever in your debt.

Christine on the walk in to the CIC hut 
Christine sizes up Tower Ridge

Tower Ridge in all its grandeur 

Christine enjoying the route and views

is there a better place to stop for lunch? 

Looking over to Carn Dearg 

Just below the Great Tower

Christine proud on the summit

not goodbye, just cheerio. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Davie for a wonderful adventure over the week and particularly guiding me up Tower Ridge. I will never forget it, fantastic. It was an honour for me to spend your last guiding days with you, I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. I wish you all the best for your new career and best of luck for the future. Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I'm so glad you enjoyed your day, I certainly did. Remember, Impossible is two letter too long :)

      Delete